Surgeons in Nashville, Tennessee
If you have a medical condition requiring surgery, we provide care from preparation to recovery.
At TriStar Medical Group's surgical practices across Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky, we provide attentive, tailored care to help you feel comfortable every step of the way. We provide access to comprehensive surgical services, including minimally invasive robotic technology, so you can receive effective treatment with minimal recovery time.
Learn more about our related specialties.
Surgical treatments we offer
Our general surgeons and specialists work together before, during and after your surgery to ensure you receive high-quality care. We have many types of surgical procedures available to best treat your condition.
Our cardiothoracic surgeons diagnose and treat simple and complex diseases of the chest and lungs. This includes benign, malignant and infectious conditions of the lungs, esophagus, pleura (membrane lining the thorax), chest wall, diaphragm and thymus gland.
You may also complete cardiothoracic surgery as part of a treatment plan for lung cancer and other chronic diseases. Cardiothoracic procedures we offer include:
- Lobectomy — removal of the lobe of an organ in the chest
- Pericardiectomy — partial or total removal of the membrane enclosing the heart
- Pneumonectomy — partial or full removal of a lung
- Thoracoscopic lung reduction — surgery used to treat chronic conditions affecting breathing, such as emphysema
- Thoracoscopy — procedure used to examine or treat conditions in the pleural space of the chest
- Thoracotomy — surgery to access the pleural space of the chest
- Zenker's diverticulectomy — surgery of the esophagus to relieve pressure in the esophagus and improve swallowing
Cardiovascular surgeons treat a wide range of conditions with heart and vascular surgery. From your first consultation through postoperative follow-up, our team is committed to providing excellent care and keeping you and your family well informed on the path to optimal recovery.
Types of cardiovascular surgery we offer include:
- Bypass or reconstruction of obstructed arteries
- Repair of abdominal and peripheral arterial aneurysms, including aortic stent grafts
- Surgery of the carotid arteries
- Vascular access for dialysis, chemotherapy and chronic medication therapy
- Vascular surgery
The endocrine system is responsible for releasing hormones throughout the body. The major glands of this system are the thyroid gland and the adrenal glands. When a disease or condition causes a hormone imbalance or inhibits the body's ability to generate or distribute chemicals, your doctor may recommend endocrine treatment. Surgeries related to this subspecialty include:
- Mediastinoscopy and mediastinotomy
- Puestow-Gillespie pancreatic drainage
- Surgery of the lymphatic systems
- Surgery of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands
Gastrointestinal surgery treats conditions affecting the gastrointestinal system, including all the tract organs running from the mouth to the anus. Types of gastrointestinal care offered at our facilities include:
- Gastric and duodenal surgery
- Hernia repair
- Intestinal, colon and rectal surgery
- Lower esophageal surgery
- Surgery of the gallbladder, biliary tree or pancreas
General surgery is a specialty that navigates a broad spectrum of diseases. Along with providing surgical treatment for common abdominal conditions, alimentary tract (esophagus and related organs) and endocrine system, general surgeons are also responsible for patient care before, during and after surgery.
Procedures commonly performed by our general surgeons include:
- Appendix removal (appendectomy)
- Breast surgery
- Colon and rectal surgery
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Hernia repair
- Stomach surgery
Orthopedic surgery helps manage acute and chronic conditions related to the musculoskeletal system. Our orthopedic specialists take a comprehensive approach to managing your injury. They are committed to getting you back to optimal health through advanced treatment options and patient-centered care.
Our surgeons perform various procedures, including:
- Surgery for serious fractures
- Hip, shoulder and joint replacement
- Spine care services for neck or back pain
Plastic and reconstructive surgery
Doctors provide plastic and reconstructive surgery as either medically necessary or elective procedures. While reconstructive surgery focuses on restructuring a part of the body or improving its function, cosmetic (plastic) surgery aims to improve its appearance.
Types of plastic surgery available at some of our facilities include:
- Breast augmentation
- Hand surgery
- Nerve surgery
- Pediatric plastic surgery
- Reconstructive surgery for burns
If you have cancer, you may undergo surgery as part of your diagnostic or treatment processes. Types of surgery associated with oncology include:
- Breast biopsy — removal of cell tissue from the breast
- Breast cancer surgery — this includes lumpectomy (removal of cancer or abnormal tissue) and mastectomy (partial or total removal of one or both breasts)
- Prostatectomy — partial or total removal of the prostate
- Sentinel node biopsy — removal of tissue from a primary tumor in the lymphatic system
- Stereotactic breast biopsy — removal of an abnormal mass from the breast with the assistance of a mammogram
Breast cancer surgery
One difficult part of receiving a breast cancer diagnosis is navigating the unknown. That's why our team of specialists offers a wide range of imaging and surgical services for women experiencing breast cancer. Our team designs a treatment plan for your specific needs, including surgery if necessary.
Our surgeons perform lumpectomies and mastectomies. Lumpectomies are designed to remove a portion or "lump" of cancer or other abnormal tissue from your breast. A mastectomy is performed when a woman cannot have breast-conserving surgery, so the entire breast is removed. Should you require one of these procedures, our surgeons will provide you with exceptional care, keeping you as informed and comfortable as possible every step of the way.
Minimally invasive surgery
We use advanced surgical technology to perform a range of inpatient and outpatient procedures. Additionally, you have access to physical therapists to help you recover from surgery as fully as possible.
Robot-assisted surgical technology allows surgeons to operate with greater precision using smaller incisions than what is possible with traditional surgery.
During robot-assisted surgery, also known as robotic surgery, your surgeon sits at a control panel and guides the surgical instruments. A console provides a 3D, high-definition view of your anatomy with accurate depth perception. To perform the procedure, your surgeon controls robotic arms that can manipulate tissue with more skill and accuracy than humanly possible.
There are several benefits associated with robot-assisted surgery. These procedures result in faster recovery times, as well as less blood loss, pain, risk of infection and scarring. Robot-assisted surgeries also generally require shorter hospital stays, so that you can get back home to your loved ones as soon as possible.
Robot-assisted surgery is offered for specific procedures under the following surgical subspecialties:
- General surgery (gallbladder removal, hernia repair and colon resection)
- Gynecologic oncology (hysterectomies, myomectomies and surgeries to treat uterine conditions)
- Urology (prostatectomies and other types of surgery for prostate cancer)
Rehabilitation after surgery
Physical therapy is an integral part of the recovery process for many surgical patients. If needed, we can connect you with a professional who will guide you on the best ways to restore strength, balance and mobility after your procedure. We also offer neurorehabilitation through our neurological care program.